Friday, January 22, 2010

Battle of Shame: Black people vs. italians


                                                                                                    

Ever since Flavor Flav first popped up on VH1 with his viking horns and oversized clock, frankly looking like someone that escaped from Sheppard Pratt, Black people have hid their faces in shame. It was like we are already represented as fools and here comes this gremlin looking man eating chicken during his confessionals. It may seem like I have a vendetta against Flavor Flav but I don't, just stating the facts. Once Flavor Flav faded back into obscurity, we had to deal with BET images and New York and her crazy mother. There are very few positive images of Blacks on TV. Either we're slamming each other like savages, shooting in south central, looking for love on a mock reality show, or on BET popping bottles on a girl with an oversized behind. Now Black women are eternally single. Great, things just keep getting better. Also, the criticism was never directed at the producers or the show but always the race. Other races were like"see I told you they acted like that." It's so bad that Chinese restaurant owners in Northern New Jersey are telling black people that they get chicken, no matter what they order.

I see all that to say, I am happy that the focus is no longer on us or our stereotypes because Italians are mad at Jersey shore. Now, I have more experience with Black stereotypes because I'm Black and I live in Randallstown, which is the mecca of black people in Baltimore County. Also, I have little experience with Italians, or white people as a whole except working for a few months in Carroll County where I was the only full blooded black person. But watching Jersey Shore made me happy I'm not Italian.

The MTV series, which wrapped last night, was reran all day and I saw a few episodes and it's interesting. The people on this show call themselves Guido and Guidettes, which according to several Italian websites is the same as the n-word. Wow. I don't feel like putting the entire Guido definition here because it's too long, but here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_(slang). Like I said, Italians aren't happy because it plays into every Italian stereotype. Some of them are spoiled children with gelled hair, bad manner, and fist pumping. Okay I guess. At least they aren't making pizzas and pretending to be mob bosses.

So who has it worse? Blacks or Italians.


1 comments:

Dj Soup said...

As a human I think every race has its own stereotypes just another situation for the media to report about